Duvets, quilts, pillows and mattresses - these are the sleeping essentials for relaxing and rejuvenating sleep! Without the right sleeping set-up, you’re bound to wake up feeling tired and sore, wishing that you could turn back time and give yourself another eight hours.
At SpacerStore, we’ve been thinking about how we can help fellow sleeping enthusiasts get a better night’s sleep. Is it the mattress? How important are pillows? And is a down quilt the solution to all your sleeping problems?
We’ve found some luxurious, relaxing, and interesting answers so that all you have to worry about is putting on your most comfortable sleepwear and drifting off to dreamland.
The building blocks of good sleep: mattresses and pillows
It probably doesn’t surprise you that having a quality mattress is essential for good sleep. But there are so many different options out there, it can be hard to know which mattress will give you the best results. Here’s a quick rundown of the pros and cons of some of the more common mattress types:
- Memory foam mattresses. If you’ve ever wondered what astronauts sleep on, the secret is memory foam. These mattresses are a relatively new invention - having been developed for space missions - and they work by moulding to your body. It’s a pretty polarising design: without the pressure points of traditional mattresses, memory foam may ease shoulder and hip aches. But the weightless sensation isn’t for everyone, and the lack of air circulation can make these mattresses more prone to dirt and allergens.
The best way to find the mattress that’s right for you is to think about your specific needs: your firmness preferences, any allergies you may have, your budget, and your interest in eco-friendly products. Take the time to test out different models and read all the reviews that you can before buying.
Now, how about pillows? Well, there’s reason to believe they’re just as important as your mattress. As the sleep expert Martin Simon points out, the right pillow can ensure proper spinal alignment for a significant part of your day. If you’re waking up with neck pain, chances are, you could use a new pillow.
As with mattresses, there are many options for pillows, and the right one will depend on your personal preferences. Memory foam pillows are popular for the same reason as their mattress counterparts: they’re comfortable and form-fitting to reduce pressure on your joints. On the other hand, natural fibre pillows made from duck or goose down are often considered to be the height of luxury. But natural fibres aren’t always the most allergy-friendly options. Again, latex pillows are a great eco-positive option for those who don’t suffer from latex allergies.
All about pillowcases, quilts and duvets
After you’ve found the perfect mattress and pillow, it’s time to find the right covers and linens to achieve maximum comfort.
Let’s start with pillowcases and sheets. This is the part of your bedding that you’ll come into contact with the most, so find a material that feels good and doesn’t irritate your skin. Keep in mind also that the right material will help with temperature control. For the cooler months, you’ll appreciate the cozy warmth of flannelette or microfibre sheets, like the Daisy Natural Printed Microfibre Sheet Set. But in warmer seasons, it’s best to opt for silk, satin, cotton or bamboo, which are lighter and airier. The Accessorize Cotton Rich Sheet Set or the Bamboo Cotton Sateen Sheet Set are two wonderful options to breeze through high temperatures.
And how about your quilt options? Should you stick to synthetic fibres or go with a high luxury down quilt? Are some quilts cooler than others or better for people with allergies? Here are a few options to answer those questions:
- Natural down quilt. Quilts made of goose or duck down, such as the Accessorize Duck Feather & Down Quilt are some of the most popular options. They’re light enough to be comfortable in temperate climates, and they’re incredibly soft. But, they do pose some challenges for those with allergies.
- Wool quilt with cotton case. As with the goose or duck down quilt, a wool quilt, such as the Luxury Wool Quilt, is made with natural fibres that are soft and cozy. A wool quilt is perfect for anyone looking for more warmth than a down quilt.
Now, if you want to give your bedroom a specific style and add even more luxury to your sleeping schedule, the right duvet (aka doona) is the best finishing touch. Browse through SpacerStore’s many stunning cotton quilt cover sets to find the right style for your space. These duvets will extend the life of your quilt. Plus, you can find every style imaginable, from bohemian florals to retro and more.
Some FAQs when caring for duvets and mattresses
After you’ve upgraded your sleeping essentials, you might have a few questions about how to keep them in pristine shape. We’re frequently asked questions about how to care for your mattresses, quilts and duvets, so here’s a few words of advice:
- Wash your sheets and duvet covers weekly. Throw them in the wash, set your machine to hot, and enjoy a cleaner sleep.
- Be mindful about storage. Whether you’re storing your summer sheets and duvet sets or moving your mattress into storage, always be careful about preventing mould and infestation. Store your sheet sets in plastic boxes or air-tight bags, and follow these tips on how to protect your mattress in storage.
Are you ready for better sleep with the right mattress, sheets, and duvet?
Here at SpacerStore, we love to hear about how our customers have transformed their relationship with sleep with a few simple upgrades to their sleeping essentials. From duvets to mattresses to the best down quilt, tell us all about what helps your sleep feel restful and rejuvenating!